Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Title IX

Without trying to sound to sexist and as far as athletics goes, has Title IX been a good amendment? Dont get me wrong, I am all for women having the opportunity to participate in athletics. I played college hockey at the club level and we had several women join the mens team up until 2 years ago when we had enough women interested in playing that we were able to start our own women's hockey club. The "interest" is really what I would like to look at. Why cut certain men's programs just so that the school can be in compliance with an amendment according to enrollment and gender? Why not have money in the budget for the teams already in existence? If there is enough "interest" in a particular sport for any gender, then we can go back and rework the budget to start a team. These teams do not have to become NCAA sports because I am well aware of the type of funding this would need. If you have the dedication and a few people interested enough in starting a program, it can be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment